Sunday, March 15, 2009

A humble beginning

Here is a journal page that I have not done much to yet. As I was reading in chapter six of 12 Secrets of Highly Creative women; I was thinking about how this page represents my art journey. Something just begun not really fresh but not defined yet either. The simple beginnings with so much possibility. This particular chapter talked about when you want to get serious about your art you need to be intentional and give attention to what your goals are. There are lots of people and daily needs that can get in the way of creating and so you need to set boundaries to eliminate the distractions in your life. Be willing to proactively go after what you need and don't feel guilty about it. Give yourself deadlines, if that motivates you. She says in the book, "In order to succeed, you must create a space, commit the time, value it and fight for it. And yes, give some things up". Tell the people in your life that you are not available during this time. The most important part, as far as I was concerned, was when she talked about how creativity has to have silence to emerge. In the silence is where we find new ideas and inspiration and we must make time to escape the chaos of our lives to hear those thoughts and ideas and get in touch with our souls.

I can tell that I am going to have to read this chapter a few times to let it all sink in. I totally understand it but doing it is another thing. Setting aside the caretaker role to friends and family for a few hours to let creativity blossom is hard for me. Everyone else gets first dibs on my energy and I find at the end of the day that I don't have much left over to pour out on the page. But I know in my heart that I am to take this road. I am to learn to be this person who values her creative self because it is a deep form of worship to the Lord who created me to be this way. A tithe of sorts of the creative gifts given. I have so much to learn but attention with intention will give me the time I need to learn it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was over at Kelly Rae's blog and she talked about pretending until we are not pretending anymore. I must remember this. http://kellyraeroberts.blogspot.com/2009/03/pretending-until-were-not-pretending.html

lori vliegen said...

oh, this is so true! it's always difficult to make a choice between time for our families and time for ourselves! it sounds like you're on the right track in learning what works best for you, though...and that's the most important thing! thanks for the kelly rae link, i'm going to check it out...

p.s. your journal page is looking great...i can't wait to see what you do next! :)

lori vliegen said...

p.s.s. you're right...that's a great post by kelly rae!
:)