Monday, February 23, 2009

The Void

Just as our lives go through seasons so do our creative lives. Part of the that process is what chapter four in 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women calls, THE VOID. It sounds ominous and scary and it can be, I suppose. The place where you come to that is empty of ideas. This is where you take a step back and reevaluate, wait, let go and redesign. By doing this we will be slowly prompted to take a new direction. To figure this all out and make it through this time we need to take a time out and listen to our hearts and the gentle voice whispering new dreams into existence. For me it is when things are about to change and the Lord is telling me ever so slowly which way to turn. It is when things happen unexpected that point in a different direction than I thought I was heading. I hear the promptings so much more when I am quiet and take time to listen. This is not an easy thing to do. Slowing down and just being instead of doing goes against the norm and takes courage to wait for the answers to come. Then, when the ideas come and you start moving again it is like a butterfly coming out of it's cocoon. A beautiful thing is born. I have been reading some blogs lately of artists going through this time. They feel the need to take long walks or sit and enjoy a sunset or spend time with friends without the frantic need to create. Not knowing what to say about the lack of product being created. I think by understanding this cycle of birth, death and rebirth will help us all support each other through it. How encouraging it would be to have artists share their stories of how they made it through each of these cycles. Please feel free to share here if you like. I think I am in the birth stage and don't have much to share yet but would love to hear your stories.

2 comments:

snazzykc said...

Sometimes I read a love story or browse through magazines that inspire me. Somehow, sitting down long enough and focusing on beauty allows me to create beauty for my life too.

Angela said...

I find looking at others art and art journals inspires me and makes me think of trying new things, completely different to what I was stuck on or when I couldn't think what to draw!