Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Christmas tree memories

I was thinking that this month I would do a few pages in my journal devoted to memories of Christmas growing up. This page is about the tree we had. I think it is important to write down stories and memories, especially the good times.

My grandmother was a story teller and boy did she have a lot of stories to tell. We video taped her right before she died telling some of those stories. I can't even imagine how many memories were lost by not writing them down. She was an artist too and if there had been such a thing as art journaling then I'm sure she would have been amazing at it.

I am finding these days that I just can't remember things very well. It has nothing to do with age, just too much to remember in everyday life that crowds out the important stuff. They say when you get really old all you remember is stuff from your growing up years so maybe it will all come back to me. In the meantime I will write a memory down as it comes and see how many I get. These pages in my journal will have less to do with art and more about the journaling.

The last week has been so cold here that I just can't get warm. It finally warmed up today and feel like I can actually function. BRR! The only problem is that now we get the rain forever and ever and ever. We would have snow if the two would meet in the middle. I guess I will keep hoping for another week.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I'm so glad you got to record all those wonderful stories. What a treasure those are. Recording memories is such a good thing to do. I wish I had recorded more of what my kids said and did as they were growing up. I remember a lot, but sometimes forget who said what!! When I was first married my husband's grandmother visited and cooked all her famous meals. Did I write them down?? No. I could kick myself!!

Stay warm, we have had a few rainy, foggy days. It's very cold here today!!